Friday, January 30, 2009

Surface Design, step 1

One of my goals is to do surface design. I want to develop patterns and have them printed on fabric. Eventually, it would be great to have the space to do my own fabric printing. But, for now, I'll stick to small scale printing and Spoonflower. I would love to ultimately see my fabric used by others to make wonderful things. I love fabric, but I don't really sew. You'd think it was in my gene's, my grandmother was a seamstress ( a very good one) and she was also super creative. So, I aspire to design fabrics that my grandmother would be proud of.

So, here's a sketch I made that I will begin to develop into a repeating pattern. If anyone has suggestions (now, or as I go through the process), I'm all ears. This is new territory for me.


2 comments:

  1. Deanna, I love what you've done with the place! ;) I like how you're using this site to "think out loud," now, and it's nice to know your dreams. PERFECT for "Dreamy Abstraction!"

    This sketch is really pretty. I love the simplicity. It's elegant.

    Not knowing anything about textiles, I've nothing much in the way of suggestions. My only thought is that perhaps an image needs to be created in such a way that it touches or links with itself in the repeats...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie! I appreciate your words of encouragement. I hope to have "step 2" in a few short days.

    ReplyDelete