Monday, January 3, 2011

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown: part 2


First, I have to say that I loved Angels and Demons. I also loved The DaVinci Code, but not quite as much. I struggled to finish The Lost Symbol.

Here's why, in a nutshell:
1. It lacked mystery.
2. Really, how many times can weird stuff happen to one guy? Robert Langdon is like a literary Jack Bauer.
3. The characters weren't very compelling. I didn't care if they lived or died, which isn't good when you're trying to read a story about them.
4. It was about 180 pages too long.

I actually started skipping paragraphs when I had about 100 pages left, which is unusual for me. The villain was unconvincing, way, way too weird, and didn't give me a feeling of dread.

I did like the information about the symbology. It's very interesting. I've never been to Washington, D.C. and this makes me want to go more than I already did.

All in all, I think the Robert Langdon series has jumped the shark.

So, I wish I had more to say about it, but I don't. And, I don't recommend this book. Do you agree or disagree with my assessment? Any reading suggestions?

Thanks for reading! See you in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment